- Participation in an exciting and growing organization representing the interests of cyclists in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Membership in Cycling Canada, a National Sport Organization with one simple purpose - to inspire Canadians to cycle.
- Eligible for a 10% discount on select bicycle apparel and/or accessories at various shops (Canary Cycles, Freeride Mountain Sports, The Outfitters, Fun 'N' Fast, Cycle Solutions and Minipi Outfitters).
- Eligible for a 15% discount on memberships and 10-class cards at Modo Yoga St. John's. Proof of membership is required.
- Eligibility for funding from the Athletic Excellence Fund
- Ability to participate in BNL approved non-competitive events (e.g. group rides) in the province.
- Access to other specific BNL organized activities.
- Insurance coverage while participating in BNL approved non-competitive events.
- Right to vote at the Annual General Meeting.
- Ability to stay informed about events and current issues regarding cycling in the province.
- Eligibility for the Physical Activity Tax Credit
Provincial Racing Membership
Includes the benefits of a General Membership, plus:
- The ability to compete in BNL sanctioned road, gravel or MTB races, ONLY within the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. A UCI Race Licence is required by anyone wishing to race and be placed in the BNL Provincial Championships (all disciplines) or looking to race outside the province.
- Insurance coverage while participating in BNL sanctioned competitive events.
- Eligibility for prizes or awards arising from competitive races within the province.
UCI Race Licence
UCI Race Licences are issued by BNL on behalf of Cycling Canada, which is in turn affiliated with the international cycling body, Union Cycliste Internationale. This means that UCI Licence holders are able to compete in sanctioned events across Canada, such as the Canadian Championships and anywhere in the world, subject to certain conditions. A UCI Licence includes benefits as outlined above for General Membership and Provincial Racing Membership, plus:
- The ability to race and be placed in the BNL Provincial Championships (all disciplines).
- The ability to compete in UCI races outside the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Insurance coverage while participating in UCI events as well as BNL sanctioned competitive events.
- Receipt of a digital photo I.D. card which must be shown at every competitive event that UCI holders participate in.
- Eligibility for selection to provincial teams, representing Newfoundland and Labrador at provincial, national and international events.
- Eligibility for selection to national coaching and athlete development programs.
- Eligibility to receive UCI points for riders participating in UCI sanctioned events.
- Eligibility for prizes or awards arising from competitive races.
Please read the following information carefully before registering with Bicycle Newfoundland and Labrador, and choose the Membership/Licence Category to meet your needs.
General Membership: Required to participate in all BNL approved non-competitive events such as group rides.
Provincial Racing Membership: Required if you intend to participate in BNL sanctioned road, gravel or MTB races, only within the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
UCI Race Licence: Required if you wish to race and be placed in the BNL Provincial Championships (all disciplines) or if you are looking to race outside the province. These licences are issued by BNL on behalf of Cycling Canada, which is in turn affiliated with the international cycling body, Union Cycliste Internationale. UCI Licence holders are able to compete in sanctioned events across Canada, such as the Canadian Championships and anywhere in the world, subject to certain conditions. Riders participating in UCI sanctioned events are also eligible to receive UCI points.
A UCI Licence is also required to determine the UCI Technical Designation if you are qualified as a:
If a member of any age category plans to participate (but not race) in a competitive event within the province, then at the discretion of the event organizers, that member may be able to ride with a General Membership. This participation would be considered purely recreational and as such the rider would not be eligible for any category placing. The rider will be placed in a recreational category for which no winners are designated, or series points awarded.
Youth aged 12+ with Canada Games or other competitive aspirations require an U17 Provincial Racing Membership. A UCI U17 Licence may also be required at the discretion of event organizers to race in certain events within the province. A UCI Licence is required to race and place at the BNL Provincial Championships, as well as to race outside the province or at the Summer Canada Games.
Digital ID Cards
Membership and licence cards will be provided in digital format only.
Proof of Membership
UCI members will be asked to bring their digital ID card (which must include photo) to each competitive event that they wish to participate in. At the discretion of the event organizer, General and/or Provincial Racing members may also be required to bring proof of membership (photo not required) to participate in BNL approved events. Any member may be asked to provide proof of membership to avail of discounts offered by various vendors partnering with BNL. A list of vendors offering special discounts to BNL members can be found on the Benefits section of the website.
Photos for UCI licences should be passport/driver’s licence style with NO hats, helmets, sunglasses, or goggles present. Please note that your licence will not be issued until a suitable photo has been uploaded.
All members must sign a waiver. This is done through the online registration process. A parent/guardian must sign the electronic waiver for riders under the age of 19.
Your BNL membership is valid from the date of issue until December 31st of the current year (e.g. January 1st to December 31st)! Please note: CCN processing fees are charged at checkout.
|Under 19 years of age
|19+ years of age
Provincial Racing Membership
|Under 17 years of age
|17+ years of age
UCI Race Licence
|UCI under 17 years of age
|UCI 17+ years of age
Troubleshooting during Registration
If you experience challenges during the online registration process, please contact our registration partner (CCN) for assistance. CCN is accessible via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (1.866.534.2453). Their office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30am 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time (PST).
If you apply for a General Membership or for a Provincial Racing Membership, your membership card will be digitally issued at the time of application and should arrive in PDF format via email very soon after you complete your registration. The anticipated arrival time for a UCI Licence, however, is 2-3 weeks. The delay occurs because we are required to manually review UCI Licence registrations prior to issuing the digital card.
Outstanding issues, such as the ones listed below, may delay arrival of your digital card:
- Missing Photo (UCI Licence only)
- Incorrect Photo Format (UCI Licence only) - Should be passport style photo with no hat, helmet, goggles or sunglasses.
- Missing or Incomplete Waiver
Late event registration is a common issue. It is important to plan ahead to prevent disappointment. If you hear of an upcoming event that you might like to participate in, plan early. Become a BNL member and sign up for the event in plenty of time.
Feel free to contact BNL at email@example.com if you have any questions.
BNL purchases insurance from Gallagher Insurance as part of a collective of provincial cycling associations. BNL membership includes insurance coverage for all members in good standing during participation in BNL APPROVED or SANCTIONED activities. This CORE insurance coverage includes:.
- Public Liability: Provides protection if sued due to an injury that occurs while participating in an approved or sanctioned event.
- Personal Accident: Provides health coverage (in excess of provincial health programs and private insurance) for injuries that occur while participating in an approved or sanctioned event.
New - Personal Accident Extension Program
BNL Members may choose to opt into the “Personal Accident Extension Program”. The two options for extended coverage are outlined below:
Tier I - BNL Members looking to have their individual training activities covered have the option to purchase into the “Personal Accident Extension Program” for an additional premium of $25 (+CCN Processing Fee) to extend the Sport Accident coverage to these activities.
Tier 2 - BNL Members who would prefer to have their personal accident coverage extended to include anytime on the bike (including things like commuting to work or generally using the bike as a vehicle rather than sport) have the option to do so for an additional premium of $120 (+CCN Processing Fee).Purchase Insurance (existing 2024 members only)